After a fairly productive April of smallmouth fishing, my success with carp in May has been less than impressive, for the most part. The smallmouth fishing slowed dramatically as well. We’re low on rain and my stream is now running at 17 CFS. Up until this week (more on this shortly) my carp fishing produced more things that were not carp than that were. But some of them were real pretty.
I’ll admit I enhanced the colors a bit on the striped shiner. With an ugly face like that, it only seemed fair that he gets to show off what he’s got.
I spent one morning on my local pond, hoping to hook into Big Mona, but I had no such luck. I raised a lot of small bass, then put on a bigger fly hoping to select for larger bass, and instead got bluegills.
Several trips targeting carp and carp only only produced a fish or two, so I decided to change things up a bit. The problem is, I changed too many things at once. It worked, but of course my experiment now lacks proper controls, so I have no way of knowing which variable is responsible for my success. First, I tried a new spot. It was full of carp. In fact, it’s possible to see their tracks in the sand at the shallow edges of the bars. As they move along feeding, they suck the fine silt off of the gravel, leaving long meandering trails like that pictured below.
This stretch of stream was carpy as hell, but not easy to fish.
I also changed flies, switching from my (formerly) trusty rust-colored bug to a darker and heavier olive thing. I started wearing light pants instead of waders, mainly for Gary. Lastly, I got a new hat. I’m fairly certain the hat was responsible for the change of fortune. For on this outing, I hooked six carp and landed five of them, all in the course of just a couple hours’ fishing.