Thursday, September 29, 2011

Well, are you, punk?

This is culvert.



Recently, while researching a potential job at a university, Google led me to a website that asked me "Are you a Bro?"  It promises that if I learn the "Bro code", I will then "get photos of hot girls, funny stories and videos, frat music and playlists" and other fine things. I accidentally kept reading, and learned that "bro" is also an adjective, and a versatile one at that.  For example, the site's chat board includes repeated queries from young men wishing to know if a particular musician or clothing brand is still bro.  Apparently, one of the worst things a new fraternity brother can do is wear something that is no longer bro. One fellow was informed that bragging about having sex with a coed who was menstruating was "so not bro". Nowhere was a formal definition of "bro" provided, but of course that's partly the point.  If you don't know what bro means, you are most certainly not bro.

It occurred to me, after I was finished viewing the hot girls and funny stories, that fly fishing is in need of an adjective.  And, because nobody has stepped up to the plate, I am doing so now.  Am I going to define this adjective?  No.  Either you are, or you are not.  Not sure? Spend some time on this blog. 

And then ask yourself "Am I culvert?"

Well, are you, punk?

6 comments:

  1. I am not worthy of such moniker; though I have considered a monocle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wearing a monocle would qualify as culvert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are a work in progress. I'm a culvert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, no no!!!!

    Erin, you are not A culvert. You are culvert (or you are not. It's an adjective, not a noun.

    Good grief. And to think I thought you were almost there....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like carp girls. I had failed already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll discuss this with Jonny at the next Executive Council meeting, but my own opinion is that there is more than one way to become culvert. We don't really have a litmus test, per se. It's more of a whole package thing. For example, Jonny doesn't like muskies. If I'm going to forgive him that sin, it seems only fair that I let your feelings about The Carp Girl slide as well.

    ReplyDelete