Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Doc Watson: 1923-2012

Coming just on the heels of the death of Earl Scruggs, this really gets me down.  I discovered the music of  Scruggs and Watson simultaneously when I found my father's old "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  The Dirt Band was essentially a group of long-haired hippies with an appreciation of bluegrass and traditional old-timey music who had the foresight to get a bunch of the masters together for a recorded "jam session" back in the early 1970s.  The album is pure perfection.

When Scruggs died, I played nothing but his music for three days.  Then there was the two days of Levon Helm.

I have enough Doc Watson recordings to last a week, and I start right now.

[Embed code doesn't seem to be working right now.  If I can figure it out, I'll put in a video.]

1 comment:

  1. It's a sad day. But Doc lived a long and accomplished life. It's remarkable that both he and Earl Scruggs were touring pretty much right up until the end. I consider myself very lucky to have seen both of them perform in the past couple of years. Tonight I learned to play Walk On Boy in Doc's memory. I can think of no better way to remember him than through his music.

    ReplyDelete