Sunday, March 10, 2013

Maple Syrup, a Bird and Some Fish

Slowly, slowly, it feels like we're coming to the end of the worst winter I can remember. Either it has been particularly cold, or each winter is actually getting worse, or as I get older the winter just feels worse. I desperately hope it's not the latter. Today we put the clocks forward and over the weekend partook in things that we do at the onset of spring.  
Spot the fire pit. It's on the right there.
A blessed few hours on a small stream. I used a Whickam's Fancy to hook about a dozen trout. I landed only three.
Some of these, some caddis and some midges.

I came across this rare Squirrel Tailed Hawk. (He wouldn't relinquish his catch and let me get close enough for some reasonable shots).
I'm not sure if things in nature are handsome, but this bird looks it to me.
 
We made maple syrup. The ratio of sap to final sugary loveliness is about 50-1. Each quart probably costs way more to produce than the stuff in the store.
But it comes from our trees and it tastes more delicate and more pure. And when we do this it means that winter is over.


Jonny

4 comments:

  1. It's too bad you couldn't get closer to that bird (hawk? sparrow?) - would have made some really nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and pics. I help a buddy out with his sugar shack and there is a lot of effort to get that tasty gold. It truly is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shots of the squirrel killer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent photo's of the hawk. That stream looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete